Friends of Borden Church

...maintaining the fabric of our historic building

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Introduction

Borden Church stands in the centre of the village at the top end of The Street. The church is basically a Norman flint building, with later Gothic additions, most of which was constructed during the 12th and 13th centuries. It is believed that the site may have been used for a church even earlier. The church was originally a gift from Simon, son of Peter de Borden, confirmed by King John in 1205. The current building has therefore witnessed at least eight centuries as the focal point of the village.

The income generated by the regular congregation is barely sufficient to meet the day to day running costs. There is very little money left to pay for any maintenance of the fabric of the building or essential projects. It would thus be a tradegy if our generation failed to help in maintaining the fabric of the building that we have inherited. For this reason the Friends of Borden Church was established.

The Friends of Borden Church, registered charity 1094542, was incepted in 2002. Since then we have been busy raising funds and spending on worthy projects to keep the church in good condition. The more noteable projects funded by the Friends have been:

 2003Restoration of the "Light of the World" window  
 2005Complete interior redecoration 
 2007Repair to the Porch Window 
 2008Repair to North Aisle Buttress  
2009Replacement of bell ropes and building a bell ringers saftey cage.